[Alberg30] New Alberg 30 Owners

sousa, stephen sousa_stephen at emc.com
Wed Oct 17 07:50:23 PDT 2001

Fellow Alberg Owners,

The issue with gate valves is that you cannot tell if they are closed with
in the closed position. In many cases the threaded rod is removed from the
gate and you only know that when the boat begins to flood. These valves may
operate well since the boat has been in salt water but some day they will
fail. The recommended solution is to replace them with ball valves which
contain nickel coated bronze ball. At one time Apollo wasn't manufacturing
them with bronze and also having problems, I am not sure if that issue was
corrected. I purchased ball valves manufactured by Buck in Delaware and they
have been  in operation for 4 years operating without any issues.

Regards,
Stephen Sousa

Carina Vela #114