[Alberg30] Propane Tank installation(Help on stoves too)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Oct 22 16:48:10 PDT 2001

On reflection, I should reply to this one, too.  I *have* asked
a marine insurance agent about boat fires.  He told me that, in
his experience, the #1 cause of sailboat fires was pressurized
alcohol stoves.  Sure, the fire can be put out with water, but
it can also be spread with water.  If you're in that situation,
use a wet towel, not loose water that the alcohol can float on
top of.

The bottom line is that stove installations, like boats, are
always a compromise.  Propane and CNG take similar precautions,
but are pretty safe in practice.  The main problem with both of
them is the space required on a small boat like the Alberg 30.
I don't know where you'd put a full-size propane locker, and
CNG also requires a separate vented locker.

To me, for non-liveaboard use, the little portable butane stoves
work well enough and are easy to store.  Others may make a
different choice; and I have no problem with that.  To each
his own.  But there's no need for scare tactics to convince
people.  These little cannisters can be safely handled and are
no more a burden to the landfill than a couple beer cans.

BTW, in many areas, you'll find butane canisters easier to get
than CNG refills.  In fact, I don't know who in this area does
offer CNG.

 - George

win alled wrote:

> there is enough in one of those canisters to make a pretty
> good bomb of your boat.  Ask your insurance carrier.

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |