[Alberg30] Lazy Jacks

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sun Oct 28 17:40:54 PST 2001

Jacques,

I'll try to make some measurements.  To allow experimentation,
I ran a line under the boom from the gooseneck out to the end.
My lazy jacks are currently tied off on that line, so I can move
the attachment points without turning the boom into swiss cheese.

I'm undecided how I'll attach them permanently.  I leary of
putting any fittings on the bottom of the boom, for I hit my
head often enough as it is.  I'm also leary of putting any on
the starboard side, for that's where the outhaul and reefing
lines run.

I first tried an arrangement like I've seen on the skipjacks
(see http://www.alberg30.org/pictures/WildGoose2001/photo11.html)
where the top line connects to the outer leg, and the inner legs
connect from that.  I found this to be excellent for snagging the
battens on the way up or down.  I've since reversed that
arrangement and it works much better.

Then I found that I had the legs too far out, and the sail was
not well contained on the boom.  I moved them in considerably,
and that also works better.  I'm going to add a fourth leg
attachment to the boom to hold the aft end of the mainsail in
place when the sail is down, but not gasketed.  When single
handing, I found that there's not always time to tie the sail
down at the moment you drop it.

Since my design is not yet finished, I'm still open to feedback
from others.  Once I finish the job, I'm sure I'll have done
a better job than any man in history and will deny to the death
any suggestions for improvement. ;-)

 - George

Jacques Dusseault wrote:

> Dear George,
>
> I would be interested in your design and geometry for retractable
> lazyjacks.  I have tried the fixed lazyjacks but they caused more
> trouble than good so I removed them.  I am planning to design some
> retractable ones this winter so any help you can give me would be
> appreciated.
>
> Kilwinning #446 (Thousand Islands, Canada)
>
> On 26 Oct 2001, at 16:40, George Dinwiddie wrote:
>
> > Dave,
> >
> > I don't think I would like non-retractable lazyjacks, due to the
> > potental for chafe and for affecting the sailshape and flow of
> > air over the main.  I decided to make my own retractable lazy
> > jacks.  So far, they're still a bit temporary as I've been
> > experimenting with the geometry.  I'm almost happy with them,
> > though.
> >
> > They certaily do help when single-handing.
> >
> >  - George
> >
> > > Dave Rutherford said:
> > >
> > > Greetings, I have joined the list as a potential owner in the
> > > future.  I currently own an Alberg22 in Belleville, Ontario.  I
> > > noticed some discussions on LazyJacks and since I would like to
> > > install a set wondered what the group has found with respect to
> > > their mainsail handling capabilities. I do not race and cruise only.
> > >  The local rigging shop produces them but they remain up all the
> > > time and do not retract to the mast.  Can members tell me if this is
> > > ok and if there is much variation in the different units available.
> > > I understand Practical Sailor did a comparison a few years ago as
> > > well. Thanks very much. I appreciate any advice.

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |