[Alberg30] A-30 torail - Partial replacement question

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Sep 10 17:44:28 PDT 2001

Mike,

I have a rotted section of rail on my 1966 A-30, partially under the
port side Genoa car track. I have considered replacing it, and am
encouraged by the fact that you were able to bend it without steaming it
and clamping it to a form. I'd expect to have to replace only one 10'
section (if I'm lucky).

Did you shape it to a "tapered" cross section before or after you
installed it, or did you leave it basically square since you were
replacing the entire rail? I'd have to match the existing cross setion,
but the rest of the rail is in good shape.

Also, how did you handle the joints between the sections? What about the
joint at the aft fantail rail?

I note that the genoa rail track bolts go all the way through to where
the nuts are more-or-less accessible inside the storage compartments
behind the cabin settees. Am I correct in understanding that the toe
rail is also wood-screwed into the deck?

Any suggestion on replacing just a section would be appreciated...

Thanks,

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, 1966, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |