[Alberg30] A-30 torail - Partial replacement question

Robert Kirk isobar at mail.cablespeed.com
Mon Sep 10 19:08:20 PDT 2001

At 08:44 PM 9/10/01 -0400, Daniel Sternglass wrote:
>Also, how did you handle the joints between the sections? What about the
>joint at the aft fantail rail?
>
>I note that the genoa rail track bolts go all the way through to where
>the nuts are more-or-less accessible inside the storage compartments
>behind the cabin settees. Am I correct in understanding that the toe
>rail is also wood-screwed into the deck?

Dan... My boat is also 1966 vintage. On ours, the teak toe rail is
thru-bolted down into the cabin and is not wood screwed to the deck.  You
have to expose the SS screw heads under the plugs in the top of  the rail,
with regular hex nuts below. The bolts may be bent and a @$^%# to remove,
but they come out eventually. On a couple of the bolts I had to cut the old
toe rail away and put a vise grip on the screw head and turn the bolts from
below.

As to the joints, my boat had elegant Z shaped scarfs as joints. I cut two
by hand to match the pattern; it was harder than the rest of the job. On
the other not so visible section, I did a simple diagonal scarf joint.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |