[Alberg30] Success with seacock change while afloat

Hugh Freebairn hughfree at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 9 22:37:47 PDT 2001

Can you please go through a blow by blow recount of the procedure you used?
Previously there was a description using a piece of string and rubber ball
but that didn't make sense to me.  If you used that or some other method can
you please describe it in detail?

Hugh
#442 "Aliage"

>From: Randy Katz <randyk at bertschi.org>
>To: <public-list at alberg30.org>
>Subject: [Alberg30] Success with seacock change while afloat
>Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 11:10:48 -0700
>
>Greetings, and thanks to all who had suggestions about changing the
>seacocks
>with the boat in the water.
>
>I weighed obvious risks very carefully-- and decided to go ahead with it.
>Seemed to me the biggest potential problem might be through-hulls breaking
>off.  However, in April I had removed both the head seacocks in question
>and
>ascertained that all else was sound.
>
>I took the expeditious route-- unscrewing the valve, plugging the hole with
>a bung, taping the threads with Teflon, then installing the new seacocks.
>The 1/2" cock, lowest on the hull, didn't let in such an unmanageable
>amount
>of water-- about a gallon total.  The operation went smoothly.
>
>Confidance up (delusional state in full swing?), I decided to go ahead with
>the other gate valve, the 1.5" overside-dump valve.  That old gate valve
>felt "iffy"--  clearly something was amiss and I decided to temporarily
>replace it with one of those fuel/water bronze valves (yellow handle-- but
>not a true seacock) until next spring's haulout.  That change involved a
>somewhat greater volume of water (maybe 1.5 gal) but at a bit less force.
>It went smoothly.
>
>There was a beautiful color of the  sea through the hole in the boat bottom
>that I was able to glimpse for a moment during the change!
>
>Thanks again for the advice and thoughts--  I was careful, thought things
>out in advance, and was-- of course!-- lucky.  Good to know that it can be
>done and to have experienced and dealt with water briefly rushing in
>through
>the bottom.
>
>Cheers----
>
>OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>Randy Katz
>910 - 32nd Ave.
>Seattle, WA. 98122
>USA
>206-323-1941
>KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |