[Alberg30] Success with seacock change while afloat

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sun Sep 9 11:10:48 PDT 2001

Greetings, and thanks to all who had suggestions about changing the seacocks
with the boat in the water.

I weighed obvious risks very carefully-- and decided to go ahead with it.
Seemed to me the biggest potential problem might be through-hulls breaking
off.  However, in April I had removed both the head seacocks in question and
ascertained that all else was sound.

I took the expeditious route-- unscrewing the valve, plugging the hole with
a bung, taping the threads with Teflon, then installing the new seacocks.
The 1/2" cock, lowest on the hull, didn't let in such an unmanageable amount
of water-- about a gallon total.  The operation went smoothly.

Confidance up (delusional state in full swing?), I decided to go ahead with
the other gate valve, the 1.5" overside-dump valve.  That old gate valve
felt "iffy"--  clearly something was amiss and I decided to temporarily
replace it with one of those fuel/water bronze valves (yellow handle-- but
not a true seacock) until next spring's haulout.  That change involved a
somewhat greater volume of water (maybe 1.5 gal) but at a bit less force.
It went smoothly.

There was a beautiful color of the  sea through the hole in the boat bottom
that I was able to glimpse for a moment during the change!

Thanks again for the advice and thoughts--  I was careful, thought things
out in advance, and was-- of course!-- lucky.  Good to know that it can be
done and to have experienced and dealt with water briefly rushing in through
the bottom.

Cheers----

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Randy Katz
910 - 32nd Ave.
Seattle, WA. 98122
USA
206-323-1941
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |