[Alberg30] Replace teak toerail/caprail with aluminum perforated web rail

Henry Sharpe henry_sharpe at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 17:59:03 PDT 2001

Another part of that project that I would highly recommend in grinding down
(at the scuppers) the stainless trim strip that covers the joint between the
teak tow rail and the hull.  On my boat, #111, the stainless stood proud and
was backed with old caulking that kept the deck from draining completely.
It had the effect of allowing/forcing water under the teak where it drained
through the bolt holes (I have bolts rather than pop rivets for the
hull/deck joint).  I also rebedded the stainless before replacing it.  The
boat has been watertight for six years since this job which eventually also
included a beveled and bedded teak strip inside the toerail. to seal the
inside edge of the toe rail except at the scuppers.

Henry Sharpe
(Hai Phong, Viet Nam)