[Alberg30] Un-stepping Mast

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Thu Sep 27 19:06:20 PDT 2001

Tom Sutherland wrote:

> Joe ... If you tie off just below the spreaders to lift it off the step,
> two people should have no trouble handling the mast. I doubt that it
> weighs over 200 lbs. If you have a roller furling, you will want to be
> careful with that.

Joe: I agree with Tom, 2 can lift the mast but not move it very far. If
you've never stepped or unstepped a mast of this size, I'd strongly
suggest that you get someone to help you who's familiar with the process
and that particular hoist the first few times. I used to want 2 helpers
when I dropped the mast, but I am now confident doing it with one other
who is experienced. Be sure the crutches are set up (at least fore and
aft), and that the boat is properly positioned relative to the hoist,
with clearnce for antennas etc. Use the shrouds and stays (if needed) to
-gently- "steer" the mast on the way down...

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 | Boat stuff. Good prices. FREE shipping to the end of September. |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066    |