[Alberg30] Un-stepping Mast problem

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Fri Sep 28 09:45:37 PDT 2001

One slight problem I had this year was that a small
burgee cord was left tied from a spreader to a block
plate under the mast step.  A friend and I had prepped
the shrouds, etc. late the night before and I thought
all was well.  It was getting quite dark.  The club
uses small wire blocks on a crane that is attached at
180 degrees to the back of the larger boat hoist.  It
is powered by a small electric motor on a winch.  When
we tied a sling around the mast, with a follower rope
and tightened the winch, the entire base plate came off
with the lower part of the mast.  This was unexpected,
and happened very quickly.
All the parts stayed together, so it was easy to untie
the burgee cord and take the plate and the mast step
off without dropping it in the drink.  On #590 it
appears that the plate had no through-bolts, only
"uni-taps" threaded into the fiberglass about one-half
inch.  There was only a slight bit of breakage around
the lip of a few holes, otherwise the bed area for the
mast plate looks ok.  I suppose the taps and bolts were
only to prevent sideways or forward movement, and that
they have very little vertical strength.  At this point
I am looking at separating the taps, base plate and
mast plate over the winter and then re-bedding and
installing things.  I am not sure if it is necessary to
thru-bolt these plates.  Any advice on this would be
appreciated.  I recall hearing a 'cracking' sound this
spring when stepping the mast, and this may have
weakened the taps and bolts.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590