[Alberg30] Deck stepped mast, good point

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Sep 28 10:28:58 PDT 2001

Gord Laco wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> In normal use, the plate gets compression only, I wouldn't worry too much
> about re-inforcing for side loads.  UNLESS, you have someone on board who
> grew up around keel stepped masts and secures an anchor rode or tow line to
> your mast.  Down she would come!

Gord, thanks a lot, that's a -really- good point! Although in 16 years
I've always had the boat towed (or pulled off) by the fore or aft
cleats, I had never appreciated that so little secures the mast step. I
will be SURE to never put significant side or shock loading low down on
the mast. I wonder how many other A-30 people realized that... I never
did.

Thanks again,

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 | Boat stuff. Good prices. FREE shipping to the end of September. |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066    |