[Alberg30] Rudder fastenings

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Apr 15 08:00:36 PDT 2002

> Capnreitz at aol.com said:
>
> I'm still looking for a response to my question regarding the rudder shoe and
> Pintle/ gudgeon. Do the pintle and gudgeon have a washer between them or does
> the weight of the rudder ride on the gudgeon with the shoe merely giving the
> rudder a pivot point as well as side to side support.???? My rudder pin wore
> to 1/4" and I have to replace it. Also would like to know the size of the pin
> as well as the material. Where can I get a replacement? The screws which
> comein from the port and starboard sides of the shoe. What size and material
> are they? Does anyone have a source??

I don't have a washer on the pintles & gudgeons or on the shoe.

The rudder pin is 1/2".  On many boats, it is threaded into the
bottom of the rudder post.  If that's the case, you can unscrew
the old one and screw in a new one.  Make the new one from a
bronze bolt by cutting off the head.  You'll need to use your
old one to figure out the length.

On my boat (#543), the pin was part of the 1" rudder post, turned
down to 1/2" on a lathe.  I got it drilled out and tapped, so I
now have a replaceable pin, too.

The screws are also bronze--1" flathead 1/4-20 machine screws.
See http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/CreviceCorrosion/
for a picture of them and the reason you MUST use bronze and not
stainless steel.

If you can't find a good source of bronze fasteners locally, you
can always get them from Chesapeake Marine Fasteners
(http://www.chesfast.com/) in Annapolis.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |