[Alberg30] GPS to Radar

James Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 21 16:46:03 PDT 2002

Chris

The only major gain with the connection is having the next waypoint highlighted.  This can pay off in distinguishing the waypoint from other low speed traffic.  You should also get a line from the center of the screen to the waypoint, this can act like a CDI.  How necessary are these, hard to say.  I have the radar and GPS connected on Isa Lei and it is a convenient reference.  One other useful tool will be if the radar can display the GPS's position data.  Then you have a GPS repeater. My GPS is in the cabin and not real handy to the deck, so this has been useful to me.  Also last summer the display crapped out in the middle of the summer cruise, but the GPS kept working.  I just used the radar as a display until I got home.

Considering that you have both, it is worth doing, but don't expect miracles. They are still tools to help you.  Keep your paper charts handy.

As far as hookup, Brian gave the best answer - the owners manuals, if that fails I would email both manufacturers.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35