[Alberg30] Roller Reefer

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sun Apr 21 19:22:06 PDT 2002

Bruce MacDonald wrote:

> My A30 has a geared roller reefing gooseneck of cast aluminum. At the top of
> the unit is/was a hole drilled through the casting to accept the mainsail
> clew shackle. The casting broke at this point and there is no obvious
> repair.
>
> Any ideas on where to get a replacement, with or without roller reefing?

I had a crack in the cast aluminum roller reefing casting welded up at
the beginning of last season by a machinist buddy of mine. He told me
that he detetermined that he did not need to disassemble the roller
reefing to make the weld. Before you spring for an expensive new
gooseneck (that will have to fit the boom and the mast), I'd suggest
taking it to a macine shop that does inert gas welding and asking them
whether it can be reworked -- maybe they can cut of the area of the
crack and make you a  little plate with an eye-hole for the tack and
weld it up. I have no clue if that is practical in your case, but it has
the potential to be a whole lot cheaper and maybe quicker.

Also, while you are at it, if the casting is still held in with rivets
(mine was), replace them with machine screws, it's pretty easy to drill
pout the rivets and tap the aluminum casting. Apparently the rivets have
been knows to fail.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |