[Alberg30] More Stuffiing Box Hose Replacement Questions

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Tue Apr 23 07:01:10 PDT 2002

Does anyone else have the sealant at the prop end of the stuffing box, or
can describe what we should be seeing?

We -old and new owner working togther- opened up the inspection plate and
got a much better look at it this morning. Perhaps as expected in what is
likely the original Atomic 4 installation, we found the stuffing box nuts to
be 1 7/8" and 2". The rubber hose, though not pretty, appears to be
resilent- you can put your hand around it, squeeze, and feel some give, so I
do not  think it is dryrotted out.   The hull end is totally bedded in
sealant, so much so that I don't understand what is inside, i.e. how does
the hose terminates at the hull/cutlass bearing end.  Is the rubber hose
also supposed to be hose clamped to some sort of sleeve that comes out of
the hull? The sealant is so thick that there could be room for a hose clamp
in there, but I don't want to pry away at something that I don't understand.

We are going to repack the stuffing box, and the cutlass bearing appears
fine according to the surveyor, with just a bit of play, so it is not like
we need to completely replace everything.

The new buyer is concerned about what would be the right thing to see back
there, and I - nor his surveyor, I guess- don't know.

I am also concerned about "destructive examination" causing more a problem
than we have now. (Boat has been out of the water for more than two years,
but I do not think there was any real problem in the area at that time.)

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Tom F.