[Alberg30] removing chainplates?

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Wed Apr 10 10:39:26 PDT 2002

Thanks George for this info. I will plan to do as you did while my mast
is down. Do you think it would be worth while to invest in a 5/16"
carbide bit? Do you have a recommended drill speed for drilling these
holes out in these SS chainplates. It is my understanding that the SS
will "work harden" if you do not keep the bit cutting.

Tom S
A-30 # 412
InCahoots

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> > Tom Sutherland said:
> >

> > George, are you saying that you removed all of the chainplates ... as in
> > unbolted them from the bulkheads and pulled them up through the deck? Or
> > maybe down through the deck. If so was this also when you redrilled the
> > chainplates for the 5/16" bolts?
>
> Yes.  The mast was down at the time, though you could do it with the
> mast up if you do them one at a time.  Actually, I forgot to do the
> backstay, and did that with the mast up, rigging a temporary backstay
> with the main halyard.
>
> I unbolted and removed the chainplates, marking them with their
> location in case the hole patterns varied.  Then I inspected
> whatever they were attached to, whether knee or bulkhead.  I knew
> they'd been leaking and I was concerned about rot.  I took the
> chainplates up to the house and cleaned them up.  I inspected
> them carefully for cracks, but I didn't use magnaflux or dye.
> I found a little pitting on some, but it didn't seem significant.
> I drilled out the holes on the chainplates, using cutting oil
> on the drill bit.  It was still very slow and I destroyed several
> bits.  I went down to the boat and drilled out the attachment
> holes.  I got all the various bolts (an amazing variety of
> lengths) plus a few extras on general principles.  It's a good
> thing, since I had misfigured a few and needed a shorter one
> than planned in order to not run out of threads.  Bolt all the
> chainplates back in place and recaulk.
>
> Piece of cake!  All it takes is time and work.
>
>  - George

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |