[Alberg30] Documentation

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Apr 17 06:27:04 PDT 2002

I believe you can bare-boat charter a non-US vessel without any
problems.  It's just that coast-wise trade (including carrying
passengers for hire) between US ports must be carried out in
US built vessels according to the Jones Act.

Another tidbit about documentation: if your boat is documented,
it's can't be under the control of a non-US citizen.  The
captain on board must be a US citizen, which could prevent
you from bare-boat chartering to foreigners.  If there's a
US citizen on board, the simple thing is to nominate that
person as the captain in charge.

Documentation also lets the US Government take control of
the vessel in wartime.  I doubt that's a big issue for a
30 foot sailboat, though.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |