[Alberg30] Alberg 30 center of gravity

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Mon Apr 22 09:57:17 PDT 2002

On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 07:34  AM, chrishardy wrote:

> A very accurate way to find cg is to cut out the profile view of a
> picture of the a-30 enlarging the image may help. then fold the picture
> up like paper doll parallel to the waterline. then balance the folded
> paper on a pin mark it unfold it and there you have it. This info is
> right out of Chappells Yacht design that's how the pros used to do it
> before computers..  Chris

Chris,

I'm not sure what you mean by: "fold the picture up like paper doll
parallel to the waterline", but you are describing a method of locating a
"center of area", not a "center of gravity". If you cut out the profile of
the hull shape below the waterline and balance it on a pin you are finding
the "center of lateral area" (with the boat in an upright position).

You have to consider the locations of weights, not just area. Not sure if
I am saying this very clearly.

Bob Johns, Wind Call #397

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |