[Alberg30] Alberg 30 center of gravity

chrishardy chrishardy at tds.net
Mon Apr 22 11:42:08 PDT 2002

I was absolutly wrong!  (first time since lunch) Bob Johns is right
Chapell describes that method for a rule of thumb for the lateral plane.
I dug out my Chapell and he also has a rule of thumb for c.g. he states
"As a "rule of thumb" it is assumed that the center of gravity of the
hull structure(planking, keel, deadwood, stem, sternpost, frames,
floorsdeck-beams, decking, bulkheads, cabin trunk, cabin floorand cabin
joinerwork) is at the middle of the overall length. As a matter of fact
this assumption is not over an inch or two out in normal sailing
hulls,excepting deck-houses (such as used in motor-sailers) from
consideration. Since this is the case it is customary to calculate on
this basis and to reckon on the heavy weights, such as engines, full
tanks, lighting plant, batteries, icebox, stove, winches and windlass,
anchor, spars and large deck structures, as the items of weight
controlling trim which must be counterbalanced by ballast." Don't know
if this is a help.... but it is food for thought.  Best way is too leave
the trailer axels unbolted and move them until you get about 10% tongue
wt...