[Alberg30] More Stuffiing Box Hose Replacement Questions

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 24 06:52:45 PDT 2002

Tom, That will work, I've done the job a couple of times and it's not that
bad. A couple of tips:

Disconnect the coupling from the engine; loosen the set screw on the shaft
flange coupling; if the coupling flange comes easily off the shaft you're
lucky and be careful not to drop the key into the bilge. If it doesn't come
off easily; using longer screws, connect the coupling back together with a
5/8" socket between the the flanges so as you tighten the bolts it will push
the shaft out out the flange.

Loosen the hose clamps, then remove the stuffing box and you may be able tug
on the hose to free it. It's no big worry really if you need to reseal the
stern tube. I have removed it and re-installed it on a couple of A30s and
it's not as bad as it sounds. Scary the first time, but If you think it
through, understand how the pieces work together, and take your time, you
can rebuild the whole drive train in under 10 hours.

Hope this helps