[Alberg30] Thermostat Question

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Apr 24 10:51:45 PDT 2002

Greg,

I presume you're talking about the new-style engines with the
thermostat mounted in a housing on the forward end of the
cylinder head.  These thermostats are dual-acting: they have
to open the path through the engine AND shut off the bypass
path.  The bypass flow is the hose that comes up from the
side of the engine to the thermostat housing.  The inside of
the thermostat housing gets corroded, and then the thermostat
fails to shut off this path.  Water takes the easy route and
bypasses the engine.

The fix is to replace or repair the housing.  Many people
drill out the water entry point and epoxy a new tube in
place.  I'd have to check Moyer's manual to see if he gives
detailed instructions there.  I know that there are people
on the Atomic-4 list (on SailNet) who have done this procedure.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |