[Alberg30] Thermostat Question

greg greg at vandenbergphoto.com
Wed Apr 24 12:23:33 PDT 2002

Hi George.   It is the type that has a dome top on the flywheel  end of the
motor. It intakes to starboard and exits to port . I have a clear passage in
and out of that housing... opps... I did just find a small piece (.125 x .5)
of an impeller rattling around in the intake elbow)  but not enough to impede
air flow when I blew into it. Could that have caused the water to by pass?
Hummmm.
Kindest Regards- Greg

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I presume you're talking about the new-style engines with the
> thermostat mounted in a housing on the forward end of the
> cylinder head.  These thermostats are dual-acting: they have
> to open the path through the engine AND shut off the bypass
> path.  The bypass flow is the hose that comes up from the
> side of the engine to the thermostat housing.  The inside of
> the thermostat housing gets corroded, and then the thermostat
> fails to shut off this path.  Water takes the easy route and
> bypasses the engine.
>
> The fix is to replace or repair the housing.  Many people
> drill out the water entry point and epoxy a new tube in
> place.  I'd have to check Moyer's manual to see if he gives
> detailed instructions there.  I know that there are people
> on the Atomic-4 list (on SailNet) who have done this procedure.
>
>  - George
>
> > greg said:
> >
> > I have for the 2nd season tried to figure out what's with the thermostat
> > on my wonderful Atomic 4. When I purchased the boat it had no thermostat
> > and did not for 5 years after. But last spring I spring for the very
> > expensive part. I installed it and ... nothing. Same old luke warm
> > exhaust water. This morning I put the part in a pan and boiled the water
> > and it seams to worked just fine. From manual it is installed correctly.
> > I have shut the intake hose down part way and the temp goes up but I
> > don't want to keep that up. What else could be going on? Help Please!
> > Kindest Regards- Greg
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |