[Alberg30] Regarding interior paint, again

Kevin Blanc t.k.blanc at att.net
Fri Aug 2 14:34:04 PDT 2002

Not to discount what the more experienced boat refinishers have found,
but I'd like to relay my experience with interior paint.

About eight years ago I repainted my boat with semi-gloss 100% acrylic
latex bathroom paint after a vigorous sanding. It held tight and fast
for eight years. The only places it failed are the places where the
original paint underneath it was failing and I didn't sand well enough
(the corners where the cabin roof meets the cabin sides).

The only paint I can find at the boat stores made explicitly for
painting the interiors of boats is latex - Pettit's DuraWhite Interior
paint.

I'm guessing epoxy paint would last longer. Probably the most important
thing, either way, is very thorough preparation.

Kevin Blanc
#254, Terrapin

Wally Moran wrote:

> regarding paint, Sico has an epoxy paint which I used on my cabin sole
> - I'm really pleased with the results - it is durable, looks good, is
> easy to keep clean, went on easily - although I would suggest some
> thinning, maybe 10 - 15% - is inexpensive ($14 cdn a quart), and can
> be tinted. Short of buying a marine enamel or other marine paint, I
> think this is the best I've seen. And at that price, if you have to do
> it again in two or three years - not likely from what I've seen of it
> - it's certainly affordable.
>
> Wally Moran

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |