[Alberg30] Sail for America Sept. 14, 2002

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Mon Aug 26 12:17:48 PDT 2002

To any and all Albergers in or near the New York area, let me copy / paste this info for you:
Here's another update on Sail for America.

But first, thank you very much for subscribing to these emails.  I hope you will be on one of the patriotic sailboats which will be coming to New York Harbor on this important and historic day for our nation.

Sail for America is three things.  First, it is a memorial to the people who were lost.  Second, it is a symbolic rebirth for the City of New York.  Third, it is a tribute to the soaring spirit of America - out of great tragedy and destruction, we create a symbol of hope and beauty.

The symbol of hope and beauty is New York Harbor filled with sails on Saturday, September 14.  A great armada of sailboats quietly moving up and down the river will create a once-in-a-lifetime, dignified and healing image.  This is New York City one year after - remembering, alive and hopeful.

As Chairman of the Organizing Committee, I have received many emails from families of victims thanking us for creating this event.  It will be spiritual, uplifting and helpful.

All of us coming together with a simple and peaceful purpose on this one year anniversary is distinctly American and reflects our national spirit of compassion and optimism.  I am proud to be part of this event and hope you will join me by sailing a boat into the harbor to make you own personal statement about the qualities of our nation.

It is not fashionable in the modern world to speak about the qualities of a "People."  But the American people, despite their shortcomings which do exist, are leading the world forward in terms of democracy, freedom and opportunity.  This is better than the alternative.

It is ironic that New York City was the target of the attack.  This city offers the most opportunity for everyone in the world.  It is the most international city which embraces the most cultures who co-exist in a peaceful and prosperous manner.

Is my hope that at some point in the future, we the people of the world will be united in our efforts to improve mankind.  Until then, there is conflict, often caused by one people's feeling towards another.  The attack on the United States of America was an attack against our people.  There were many victims but regardless of their nationality, religion, race or creed, they were all my brothers and sisters.  I will be sailing in the harbor on September 14 so that they can look down and see the image of hope and beauty we will create.

I need your help.  I need you to go over to the boat in the slip next to yours and ask them whether they have heard about Sail for America.  Please ask them to join us.  Please give them our website www.sailforamerica.com.  There are some sailboats which will not join us on the important day for our nation.  If it were possible, I would like to go sit with each of these owners and explain to them in person the importance of our mission and how we need everyone to participate.  But I can't do this.  I need your help.  We as a whole need to reach out as far as we can.  It is our obligation to our nation and to the victims.  Thank you for helping.

The website continues to be updated.  There is now more information about New York Harbor.  We have heard that marina slips are still available at Lincoln Harbor (201) 319-5100 for boats with a draft of less than 4'.  There is also space at the Newport Marina (201) 626-5550 and the Shipyard Marina at (201) 201-798-8080 for boats with a draft of up to 7'.  There are also free anchorages in NY Harbor which have been specially designated by the US Coast Guard plus three main Staging Areas outside the harbor.

And remember, on Sunday, September 15, a day after we create the single most unique and beautiful image of our harbor, Around Alone, the single-handed round-the-world race will start at 12 noon from off Ground Zero.  It will be one of the proudest days in the sailing history of New York City.  And the symbolism of the round-the-world race starting as the final act of Sail for America and from off Ground Zero on the one year anniversary is something I wish to be part of.  Please join me.

- Michael Fortenbaugh
Chairman of the Organizing Committee
Sail for America
www.sailforamerica.com