[Alberg30] Alberg 30's near Cape Hatteras?

David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 9 22:46:28 PDT 2002

Hey -

There are two different ferries from the mainland to Ocracoke, one from Swan
Quarter & one form Cedar Island.  They take 2  to 2-1/2 hours each way.  The
Cedar Island ferry is closer to Beaufort and Oriental.  Housing prices on
the Outer Banks are pretty high, mainlan pricing varies a lot depending on
location, some rural areas not directly on the water are very cheap.
Depends on what you like.  If you are seriously interested in relocating,
e-mail me off-line & I will try to point you toward some resources.  Sailing
is a lot like the Chesabeake, except shallower.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229

I moved to North Carolina when I was 4, so acclimation was fairly easy for
me.

Scott wrote:

> My wife and I have thought of taking the Swan Island ferry from Ocracoke
> Island to Swan Island, I believe it is called...we have always been
> curious about Beaufort and Oriental.  Since we are both about 53, we
> have kept an eye on Cape Hatteras for retirement, but heard that prices
> are better for housing on the mainland.  I am working on my Ph.D. so
> that at 55 I can teach for a college or university full-time and would
> enjoy sailing in North Carolina, too!
>
> Is the ferry very long in terms of time from Ocracoke to Swan Island?
> What is it like moving to the Beaufort area if you are a Northerner?  (I
> do have some Charleston, S.C> ancestors way back : )
>
> Scott
>
> David Swanson wrote:
>
> > Scott -
> >
> > There are several of us across the sound (45 miles or so) around
> > Oriental, & Beaufort.  I have seen an A30 in Ocracoke that I was told
> > was from Stump Point area, but did not speak to the owners.
> >
> > David
> >
> > Scott wrote:
> >
> > > Are there any Alberg 30 sailors near Cape Hatteras, North
> > > Carolina?  I wrote an article in the January 2001 issue of Good
> > > Old Boat on Carl Alberg, and while I have had the pleasure of
> > > sailing my own Alberg designed Electra and on George Kendall's
> > > Alberg 29 (out of Collington Harbor - near Kitty Hawk, Cape
> > > Hatteras, North Carolina) I would welcome an opportunity to sail
> > > on an Alberg 30, one of my favorite Alberg boats!  We will be
> > > vacationing in Frisco, near Hatteras, from Saturday, September 21
> > > through Saturday, September 28, this year.  I am currently
> > > sailing a little Bluenose 24, a Canadian full keel with quite a
> > > bit of forecutaway, and a beautiful sheer!  Designed by Nova
> > > Scotia's William Roue, she has some similarities to an Alberg
> > > design.
> > >
> > > Scott Wallace, Bluenose 24

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |