[Alberg30] spark plugs

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Aug 12 13:10:38 PDT 2002

Dave Terrell wrote:

> If it is not normal - and I guess it is not - what could be the cause or causes and what might some remedies be?
>
> Thanks. Being gone a month makes catching up on the list traffic a big job. As always, the info is interesting and very helpful.

Dave,

I had this problem a few years ago, and was going through plugs on the
A-4 very fast. It turned out that the mixture was way too rich. If you
have oneof the older carbs with the abjustable main jet, it screws-in to
lean. If not, talk to an expert on that carb, it sounds like it would be
a carb problem, maybe something plugged up. There are detailed mixture
adjustment instructions in the shop manual, but the gist of it is to run
the engine at fairly high (I use half) power under load, e.g. in
reverse, well tied up at the dock. It has a little T-handle on the end.
Screw it in until RPM starts to drop, then back it off a bit. Do not run
too lean!! You may then need to adjust the idle jet and idle speed
screws also.

I found that when I got the carb, the rebuild kit had a different way to
tighten this adjustment. The original had a little nut that you backed
off, so that the T-handle would turn freely. The newer needle valve had
no such nut -- you had to back out the plush that the jet screwed into,,
change the jet and re-toghten the plug. After wasting a -lot- of time
trying to do that with the carb in place, I decided that there is very
little work in removing the card, changing the adjustment, and
re-installing (2-bolts and unhooking the linkage). BTW, the T-handle
being "loose", inthe past, caused me intermittnet problems for a while
until I figured out that it was loose.

If this is your problem, send me private e-mail if you want more info.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |