[Alberg30] When to replace spreaders?

Kevin Blanc t.k.blanc at att.net
Mon Aug 12 16:53:23 PDT 2002

I replaced the spreaders on Terrapin about 8 years ago. I made new ones
out of heart white oak (I have a friend that has some unusual wood, and
he didn't mind parting with some).

I expected the original spreaders to be oak - wrong. They were Douglass
fir. I band sawed them in half the long way to get a profile for the new
ones, and was suprised to find that they were in excellent shape inside
after 30 years aloft.. I didn't need to replace them. Of course, I had
band sawed one of them in half.

So, up with the white oak ones. They turned out nicely. I had priced out
getting aluminum ones at that point in time. I asked the rigger if the
aluminum ones would be stronger. He said no. The advantage of aluminum
is the obvious one - it's maintenance free.

My new partner loves going up the mast, so we can inspect them
frequently. I'm not in any hurry to replace them.