[Alberg30] A4 over heating

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Aug 14 09:54:47 PDT 2002

> > If your blockage was after the thermostat housing, you wouldn't be
> > getting
> > water out the exhaust in your earlier tests.
>
> If the water is flowing through the bypass, doesn't it exit straight
> through the exhaust?

No. From the thermostat or bypass, it goes to the manifold to cool that,
then to the exhaust.

> > When you say,
> > "I removed the thermostat housing and ran the engine for a moment and
> > water is reaching the housing,"
> > do you mean it barely trickles out or it comes gushing out? It should
> > gush
> > out.
> >
> It wasn't gushing, but a little more then a trickle. I'll pull the water
> pump and check the impeller.
>
> > You probably need a good block flushing or you have a serious blockage
at
> > the "T" fitting where water enters the engine. If the water gets past
the
> > "T", there are many paths for it to flow through to get to the
> > thermostat.
> > After the thermostat, the path is the same in all of your tests.
> >
> Now I'm confused. Doesn't the water go through the water pump first,
> then to the thermostat, then through the engine or bypass, dependent
> upon the temperature?

No.  The water goes through the pump, then to a "T" fitting on the
inspection port (answer to your other Email) where preferential water flow
occurs. It either goes up to the bypass with a cold engine, or through the
block to the thermostat with a warm engine.

In your test where you blocked off the flow to the bypass, all the water
should have gone through the block and thermostat then manifold and
exhaust.(in that order) When you did the test with the thermostat housing
off, I would expect a mini guyser to shoot out. I've never actually tried
this but logic says it should be a lot of water.
 Good Luck finding your blockage,
Brian

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |