[Alberg30] Re: wiring

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Wed Aug 28 08:41:44 PDT 2002

that is quite interesting. I had not thought of it from that perspective. Thanks for the insight.

>>> gdinwiddie at min.net 08/28/02 10:11AM >>>
> bob said:
>
> Why is it better to use crimp tools versus soldering connections to the
> posts on the panels and other connections?

A couple decades ago, NASA did a study comparing the relative merits
of crimping vs soldering.  They did a lot of terminals and then cut
them apart to look inside, among other tests.  They found that a good
crimp created a gas-tight joint that put metal in contact with metal
and excluded possibly corrosive gasses and moisture.  Even good solder
joints made by experienced assemblers had bits of flux and gas bubbles
inside when examined closely.  (I used to have a subscription to
Nasa Tech Briefs.)

On a boat, the salt atmosphere tends to be especially corrosive.  In
addition, the high humidity, combined with the dissimilar metals of
a soldered connection, can generate galvanic corrosion.

(Ironically, the use of tinned wire, which is completely coated
with solder, is a good idea because it protects the copper from
chemical corrosion.  Plain copper loves to turn to green mush in
a marine environment.)

Now, NASA was comparing GOOD crimps vs GOOD solder joints.  They
use well-designed crimp terminals and ratcheted crimpers that
won't release until they've been fully closed.  It's much harder
to get a quality crimp with the tools and terminals that are
commonly available.  You should make sure you're using the right
size terminal for the wire, and you should make sure the crimper
is closed all the way.  I frequently use a pair of channellock
pliers on the crimping tool to give myself more leverage.

> I'm contemplating a wiring job for next year and would appreciate any
> advice such as which wire gage size etc.

Ancor has some good information online at
http://www.ancorproducts.com/technical.html, including the charts
of wire gauges needed for various runs.  In general, 16 gauge is
good enough for most lighting needs.  I generally run separate
grounds for each circuit.  If you use a common ground, you'll
proabaly want to use a larger wire.

They've also got the ABYC reccomendations at
http://www.ancorproducts.com/abyc.html and a wire size calculator
at http://www.ancorproducts.com/wirecalc.html

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |