Fwd: RE: [Alberg30] Cockpit drains

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Thu Dec 5 11:20:34 PST 2002

 Jay Davenport <jay at saildriver.com> wrote: Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:01:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Jay Davenport
Subject: RE: [Alberg30] Cockpit drains
To: Alberg 30 public list

Mike,
I have begun doing something similar on Revolution, #526.
I am disconnecting the deck drains from the combination thru hulls and connecting them to new thru hull fittings located about 18" above the waterline on each stern quarter of the boat. The deck drains are connected to the new thru hulls with about 2' of 1.5" diameter sanitation hose. This arrangement will not leave streaks on the hull side, as the thru hulls stand sufficiently proud of the hull sides as to cause the water to drop off the edge rather than running down the hull. Also I will no longer have cockpit locker hoses which are vulnerable to damage from shifting gear.
Here is a related question, Mike. After disconnecting the deck drains from the combination thru hulls, I am left with the "T" on the combination fitting where the deck drains had been. Can I run my electric bilge pump hose to this fitting, with a suitable loop, or air break, in it? The advantage would be a substantially shorter run on the bilge pump hose, plus the empty "T" fitting would now be filled. Can you think of any negatives?
Jay Davenport
Revolution, A30 #526

 Mike Lehman <sail_505 at hotmail.com> wrote: Now here's a thought...on the newer style boats with the internal deck
drains, I have give some thought each year to disconnecting them from the
thru hull and redirecting them right out the side of the hull at the cove
stripe. This would take some drainage pressure off of the cockpit drains,
simplfy the plumbing below the cockpit behind the engine, and I think it
could be done in a way that would make it hardly noticeable. This wat the
common method on the Tartan 33, which is where I came up with the idea. Any
thoughts? Anyone done this?

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505

.