[Alberg30] Stuffing Box Hose

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Tue Dec 3 03:44:32 PST 2002

I ran into this problem last May just after I bought Calliope and went
to a lot of trouble to replace the VERY old exhaust hose that was on my
stuffing box. After digging old rotten bedding compound out of the
stuffing box area for what seemed like forever, I finally discovered
that there were *0* hose clamps on the outboard end of the stuffing box
hose. It had simply been buried in polysulfide and forgotten about. Boy
was I glad I undertook to replace it.

My solution to the problem of different diameters on the stern tube and
stuffing box was to make a fiberglass shim on the stern tube. Basically,
my procedure was to properly prep the stern tube (meaning I sanded and
wire brushed all the corrosion off, to give the epoxy some tooth), then
take some 2" glass tape and wrap it around the stern tube, wet out with
epoxy. It took about 3 wraps, I think. I managed to do it within a few
thousandths of an inch (I measured it with my calipers, and recall
thinking - doggone I'm good. It was very very close. But that was mostly
luck, IMHO). The hose slid right on, very smoothly. Anyway, it doesn't
leak and has performed very well for this season so far. I just used the
regular 1.5" stuffing box hose. I am much more comfortable with this
solution than I am with radiator hose. I bought my hose from Viking
Marine supplies in Annapolis.

Good luck!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287