[Alberg30] Stuffing Box Hose

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 21:05:07 PST 2002

I've been through this problem and there's no easy way out. The choice is to use 1-1/2" stuffing box hose and clamp it down to 1-3/8" or to use exhaust hose. My choice has been to use wire re-enforced exhaust hose. I buy the best hose I can find made by Shields and have had no problems. While the wall thickness isn't as thick as the stuffing hose, it is very strong especially due to the wire re-enforcement. I have not had a problem after 6 years of continuous use and don't expect a problem. The way I look at it, if it will hold up to hot exhaust water, it will work on a stuffing box. If someone has a better solution, I would love to hear it.