[Alberg30] Counterpoise

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Dec 4 12:01:20 PST 2002

> greeksailor at att.net said:
>
> As I understand it, there is an electrical grounding system on the boat, that
> includes the engine block and the negative battery terminals. Then we have the
> Radio (counterpoise) grounding. After that we have the lightning protection by
> combining chainplates, mast, thru hulls?

Radio counterpoise doesn't have to have anything to do with grounding.
It's just the other half of the antenna.  On land, connecting the other
lead to ground works pretty well for vertical antennas.  Amazingly
enough, the water (even salt water) makes a pretty poor conductor
when you want it, especially at radio frequencies.

To see a standard antenna design that doesn't require any ground
connection, take a look at the dipole.

 - George

  Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
  May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
  you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                           from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |