[Alberg30] Stuffing Box Hose

Voyager Toronto voyagertoronto at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 11:51:51 PST 2002

Thanks for the offer, Bob, but I do have the 1-1/2" available locally; I was
trying to get 1-3/8".

I'm thinking I'll go with the Calliope solution. (J Bergquist wrote: "My
solution to the problem of different diameters on the stern tube and
stuffing box was to make a fiberglass shim on the stern tube.")

Questions for J. Bergquist:
1. the diameter on the stuffing box end is, by my measurement, larger than
1-3/8", but not quite 1-1/2". Did you shim the stuffing box end as well? (I
think there's only about an inch of it.)
2. Did you wrap the shim tape continuously, or did you find it necessary for
getting a perfect circle to cut individual layers each with the outside
diameter of the stern tube, like cutting packing, or (anyone) am I being too
meticulous?

Regards,

Calvin
Voyager #30
>From: "Bob Bounds" <jrbounds at earthlink.net>
>To: "Alberg 30 public list" <public-list at alberg30.org>
>Subject: RE: [Alberg30] Stuffing Box Hose
>Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:37:22 -0500
>
>Lewis Marine Supply of Stuart, Florida, (phone 772-286-2118) lists in their
>2002 catalog, 1 1/2 inch ID Packing Box hose part Number HO150 for $8.95.
>The hose is actually 5 ply marine exhaust hose.  When I replaced my hose I
>purchased a short length of 1 3/8 inch ID hose from a NAPA  parts store and
>filed the outside until I could insert it into one end of the stuffing box
>hose.  Wrapping the stern tube with fibreglass seems like a much better
>idea.
>
>If you try to contact Lewis and have any problems let me know, I will be
>glad to pick one up and ship it to you.
>
>Bob Bounds
>Echo Gulf #132

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |