[Alberg30] Wood sotve.

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Dec 22 12:08:24 PST 2002

on 12/20/02 6:17 PM, Maggie Ross at nauticallyyours-maggie at sympatico.ca
wrote:

> To Mike Lehman and J Bergquist:
>
> We have an opportunity to acquire a (brand new - only ever hung on a
> bulkhead and never used) Dickinson Newport complete with pipes and chimney.
> Based on of these replies, we're picking it up as we could never beat the
> price anywhere else.
>
> Would you consider creating mesh covered openings in the bulkheads to allow
> the warmth to flow into the companionway and through the locker? Maybe using
> a computer fan to draw some of the heat into the V-berth?
>
> J wrote:
>> I use driftwood that I pick up from the shoreline near my dock. It is hard
> to start, but burns well once it gets going.
>
> I wonder if the driftwood that has been in sea water has too high a
> concentration of salt and would lead to early corrosion of the pipes and
> charley-noble, even if they are stainless steel? Would this also contribute
> to the soot because it is probably soft wood too?
>
> As an aside: There is a Cape Dory 28 just crossed into Florida on the ICW
> and they have had to put up with temperatures ranging from 40 to 60 f. They
> removed their bulkhead stove before leaving Lake Erie and now regret it.
> They were held up in S. Carolina due to an accident and never contemplated
> being caught in the cold weather. With the cover to the engine removed,
> while motoring, they aren't able to get the cabin any warmer than about 60
> f., if the wind is on the bow.
>
> Maggie & Ian Ross
> Strathgowan, #400

Hi there -

My "plan" is to count on the bulkhead warming up to provide drying
encouragement for the hanging locker.  There is nothing wrong with better
ventilation but I think that even with heat shields the bulkhead will get
warm.

Gord
#426 Surprise

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |