[Alberg30] Failure of truth in advertising

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Mon Feb 11 12:16:29 PST 2002

Greetings, all.

I was browsing the current issue of Maine Boats & Harbors magazine, and found

an ad on the rear cover for a new Epifanes product line that appears to be be

Epifanes' answer to Cetol:  two satin synthetic finishes called Rapidcoat

("slightly pigmented") and Rapidclear (transparent).  The ad says they

require no sanding between coats, and you can lay three coats in 18 hours.

Above the text, covering the top half of the ad, is a heartbreaking

photograph by Onne Van Der Wal of a Herreshoff Alerion-class sloop.  Her

coamings and rail and jib boom glow with an impeccable buttery lustrous

finish.  And I'm thinking the Tooth Fairy has at last arrived, and Epifanes

-- of course it would come from Epifanes! -- had formulated a finish that

combined the durability and ease of maintenance of Cetol with the lustre and

beauty of varnish.

But, alas, no.  When I called Epifanes to ask a few questions, the fellow I

spoke with said that the boat in the picture had not been coated with the new

finishes -- that, in fact, the picture was taken before the product had

been created.  Putting such a prominent image in the ad, that is unrelated to

the product but intended to be associated with the product, seems terribly

misleading.

Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest:  I'm still left wondering if

Epifanes might have hit upon a formulation that is more attractive than

Cetol.  If any of you give it a try (I might), it would be great to learn

about your reactions to it.

Sanders McNew
 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |