[Alberg30] Browsers [offtopic] (was: Engine Removal page)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Feb 11 13:06:23 PST 2002

The only Netscape 6 I've used is a pre-release beta of 6.0 (April
2000), so I can't really comment on the stability of it.  That
pre-release was quite disappointing to me.  I do note that they've
released version 6.2.1 recently.

The generic Mozilla has gotten considerably better in the past
few months.  A year ago it was very primitive and most simple
things were broken.  Looking at the versions I've downloaded,
I'd guess that I've been using it pretty steadily since December
2000.  Since rev 0.9 (May 2001) I've been using it quite a
bit.  I recently installed rev 0.9.7 at home (on three machines,
Win98 and two different revisions of Win95) to see if it worked
OK there.  Today I just downloaded rev 0.9.8 at work (WinNT4.0).
As you can see from the revision numbers, the Mozilla people
(as opposed to the Netscape people in the same company) still
consider this "beta release" software, but it's pretty good.

Mozilla has a lot of good features.  It handles multiple email
and news servers.  (4.7 can only handle one POP3 email account.)
It has gee-whiz doo-dads like the page icons.  You can open new
panels within the same window instead of opening new windows
(though there seem to be some bugs in the panels, yet).  You
can block images on a server-by-server basis and eliminate the
most annoying advertisements.  You can open a frame or a picture
in a new window, something 4.7 had but IE has never allowed.
You've got more flexible control over your cookies.  It is
apparently more resistant to hostile code.  The bookmarks
handling is much nicer, in my opinion, than IE.  These are just
some of the things that come to mind.

If it's been awhile, you might want to try it out.  You can
install it on a machine with Netscape 4.7, just install to
a different directory.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |