[Alberg30] Re: Auto pilots

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Wed Feb 13 10:14:33 PST 2002

Greetings,
    I recently purchased and installed a TP2000 from Sim Rad (formerly
Navico, I believe.)  I went by suggestions from our list here, along with
the company literature and picked this one over the TP1000 for slightly
smaller boats.

    The TP2000 works well under the moderate conditions I've encountered so
far.  Not sure how effective it will be under sail with more wind.  As
someone mentioned, the TP 1000 would probably be just fine for our boats.

    Electrical current consumption is a factor worth considering.

    The unit was a bit pricey (I thought) at $429 through sailnet (It took
ages to arrive-- I think 8 weeks which seemed odd.

    Installation was easy enough.

    This particular one came with a "free" remote control unit with a long
cord which allows steering control (not speed, though) from any where on the
boat-- just be damn sure not to fall off your vessel if you're alone!

    Cheers,

Randy Katz
910 - 32nd Ave
Seattle, WA. 98122
(206)-323-1941

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |