[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Fri Feb 1 06:05:27 PST 2002

> Paloma L. Hawry said:
>
> 2) cutout and retain top skin (remove all rotted core attached), remove
> damaged core, sand down to lower skin, replace with new core material (foam
> or plywood) refill with resin to the correct level, replace and fair-in the
> old skin, and repaint surface as needed

I don't know anyone who has taken this route, so I can't give any
first-hand advice.  Personally, I would worry about the strength
of this approach.  A cored deck is a stress-skin panel and relies
on the integrity of the skins.  Normally when you are bonding to
old glass, you should have an 8-to-1 scarf to give a good bond.
On the upper skin of the deck, this means a taper that's about
2 to 2-1/2 inches wide.  If you're putting two old pieces of
glass together, you'd want to do this on each of them, giving
you a 4 to 5 inch wide seam.  If you don't do this, you're
relying entirely on the adhesive qualities holding the panel
and the strength of the core at the joint areas.  Of course,
having a 4 to 5 inch seam negates much of the esthetic advantage
of reusing the old surface.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |