[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

greg greg at vandenbergphoto.com
Sun Feb 3 09:33:59 PST 2002

Hi Bill... Q1- I had everything pulled from the deck so all I did was check the
the deck thickness with a gage and pulled back the thickness of the bottom
layer of glass. If you can find/ make a good stop for your drill that will
help. I remember wrapping tape around the bits. I did bust through a few times.
When I did I would put some tape on the underside an go on. When you inject the
epoxy it would fill its self.  Not all the areas would take a lot of injected
epoxy... but when it did I gave it all it would take. It would show up in one
of the other holes. Also check the under side if you suspect a through
hole.:-)))
                Q2- There not cheap from what I've seen... $350.00-+  I had
hired a guy that was helping me with the early stages of the cockpit sole
replacement and he had access to one. He went around the deck and marked the
areas with a pencil and I took it from there. By the time it came to checking
how dry the deck was after dry out , I had rented one from a yard that had come
to know me. If your in a yard you might be able to slide someone a few bucks
and have him check for you. I can't remember the tolerance... but it does not
have to be bone dry for it to be acceptable. It can be done in an hour. Hope
this helps. I learned a lot in the process and gained a lot of knowledge. The
library and West Sys. have some books that will take the scariness out of it.

Glad to help...Greg

"Furey, Bill (CORP)" wrote:

> Hi Greg: I have an Alberg 35 with some wet areas. two questions:
> 1. how deep for the holes & can you tell readily that you have'nt drilled
> too far?
> 2. How can I get &how much, what brand etc for a moisture meter.
> thks.

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |