[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

Neal Jackson NJackson at npr.org
Mon Feb 4 14:31:45 PST 2002

I had my deck done by a yard, and did not watch the work (it DID take a long
time).  So I can only claim derivative expertise (derived from what the
owner of the yard told me).

But this drilling method sounds like water torture.  Why would you not just
take a small rotary hand saw with an exposed blade (one on an arbor maybe
with a flexible shaft) and just carefully cut out the deck over the soggy
core in straight lines, a rectangle at a time? This surely sounds quicker,
more likely to get all the wet core out and easier to repair and cure to me.

Incidentally, one thing that the yard told me would reduce the spreading of
wayward moisture in the future is to use balsa on-end.  This way the fibers
tend not to draw the water across a wider area through capillary action.  I
suppose that if you use synthetic coring this is not an issue.

But this is indeed an interesting exchange.  Didn't it start with someone
wanting to buy a boat?