[Alberg30] Moisture Meter Technique

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Feb 6 14:45:48 PST 2002

Sorry Greg, I can't answer those questions - but water in the core does not
migrate out easily - nor does it dry well - covered or uncovered - the
advantage of a covered storage is to keep the water out. Once water is in it
is difficult to extract. Unless this covered storage area is maintained
heated above freezing for an extended period you can't be sure in testing.

My suggestion is to make a conditional offer, if that is the boat you want,
subject to a satisfactory survey and moisture examination of the boat and
deck in particular when the weather warms up.

I don't know what Columbia used in 1965 - if it were balsa it was possibly
plank balsa which is a problem, but it could be plywood or anything.
Columbia's went through several builders, some good, some not so good - I
don't know when and whom. Perhaps the owner has a core sample from some long
ago installation - if the fibres are horizontal then it is a plank core
lay-up, if the fibres are vertical all round it is an end grain lay-up. A
sample will tell you best what it is.

Mallet on a deck (lightly I hope), I use a coin mostly - a loonie to
percuss - as it is less aggressive ( they are good for something - have
enough of them and you can actually buy something if you bring a pickup ; )
Seriously, the dollar coin works fine as it gives a sharp sound that shifts
with delamination or deck bog and the feet tell the rest by the flex.

Hope this is a help. Good luck.

John