[Alberg30] Re: Engine pages, propellers

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Feb 11 11:12:24 PST 2002

I have a Bukh diesel and have looked at the engine mounts for some time,
wondering--why do they do shake in the front when running; the back mounts
seem to be solid.  They also seem to be non-adjustable, perhaps with shims?
On reading the Towney pages on engine removal perhaps all of the engines
were bolted down from the top?  The Yanmars up here all seem to have
adjustable mounts.   I have some engine wedges but have refrained from
messing about with the alignment, other than what was done when I
reinstalled the stuffing box & tube.  Should I bother about this shaking?
Compared to other diesels in the club, mine seems to be no different, with
some deck vibration, but not as smooth as the Atomic 4.

A second note, I bought a new prop this winter from a Vancouver firm called
West by North Enterprises.  They have a slim 3-blade design and I went with
a 12 x 10.5 x 7/8 shaft RH.  Testamonials from another A30 indicated that
vibration was significantly reduced--my other 2 blade, even repitched
downwards,  is a 13 inch, which seems to leave less than adequate clearance
in the aperture and therefore increased vibration--so this summer I am
hoping to have something good to report back on.  A small note, the brass
prop keys seem to be as hard to find as hen's teeth.  Eventually I got some,
but what a process!

PS what a nice winter up here--today it's slightly above freezing.

Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590
Winnipeg

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |