[Alberg30] Tiller Pilot

vinegar joe snarkbuster at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 12:04:07 PST 2002

why not soup up john's recommendation a bit.....after
your sails are fairly well balanced, run a line from
the end of the boom through a block on the windward
side of the boat that is in-ine and close to the
height of the end of the tiller and then tied (slip
knot) on to the end of the tiller.  from the leeward
side of the boat, tie a bungy cord from a fixed point
(again, in-line and close to the height of the end of
the tiller) to the tiller.  off you go....you can
steer closer or farther off the wind by letting in/out
of the mainsheet.  it works great (i promise), costs
almost nothing, uses no power, is essentially silent
in operation, etc.
joe
btw, for a really good discussion of sheet to tiller
steering visit www.oarclub.org.

--- "Hansen, Richard LTC OF-TF"
<Richard.Hansen at hqda.army.mil> wrote:
> John,
> Simplest?  Cheapest?  I use a piece of 3/8 inch
> rope.  Secure rope at
> starbord cleats on outer gunwhale.  Wrap it 3 times
> around, over the top of
> tiller. Secure to Port cleat.
> Helps to dampen rope at tiller for bite.  Small
> adjustments to course can be
> made by nudging tiller.  Large corrections require
> you to slip rope off
> tiller, set heading, re-loop rope around tiller.

http://greetings.yahoo.com
 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |