[Alberg30] A30 mast support beam

Dan Morley dan.morley at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 22 20:58:25 PST 2002

Wow!, Mike,
    I intend to undertake this repair within 5 weeks, and the information you
have provided will be extremely helpful.  Many thanks for taking the time to
pass it on.
Dan Morley (#322)

Mike Lehman wrote:

> OK, I am caught up now and can spend some time talking about the beam repair
> to the A30.
>
> First let me reinforce what George has already stated: this repair was
> designed by Bruce Rankin who was a professor of engineering at the US Naval
> Academy. Bruce, more than anyone I have ever met, could tell you the sheer
> strength of just about any material just by looking at it. Bob Marshall,
> original owner of #215, also deserves a lot of credit, since he started this
> with some early reinforcement plates over 25 years ago. To the best of my
> knowledge, over 100 Albergs have had this repair and it has withstood the
> test of time on boats that are raced hard (i.e. 28 knots on the deck, gusts
> to 35, full main and #1 genoa).
>
> Having said that, I am not saying there isn't a better way...but I know this
> one works and is permanent. The job is about a 10 hour project.
>
> The mast does not have to be removed. The shrouds need to be loosened
> considerably. As you use a house jack to crank the beam back into place, you
> will need to check the shrouds because it is surprising how much they
> tighten as the beam is raised. It is not uncommon to find a beam that is
> 2"-2-1/2" deflected on boats that have been raced hard. Care should be taken
> to make sure you spread the load both top and bottom with several layers of
> 2x6's, otherwise you will crush the cabin sole (with or without the mast in
> place). It is advisable, although not necessary, to crank the beam back in
> stages...a couple of turns today, a couple of turns next weekend, etc.
> (depends on how strong you are).
>
> Once you are satisfied that the beam is positioned to the original spot
> (check it with the curve/spacing of the door), you can make a template from
> cardboard. This was not difficult. The after plate is 54"[?] (doing this
> from memory)and the forward plate was 51"[?]. The important part, of course,
> is the top curve and the angle on the ends. Trim the cardboard until you are
> pleased with the fit, then tape into place and simply trace the bottom
> curve. I made the templates about 1/8" narrower than the beam itself. The
> aluminum plates themselves will need 'touch up' with a belt sander, because
> nothing ever fits exactly the way it is supposed to, plus you will want to
> 'knock off' the sharp edges. From the reports I have gotten the plates
> provided from my template by Washington Aluminum seems to fit pretty well.
>
> Now that you have a template, it's time to find the aluminum for the job. I
> used 0.50" 6061 grade aluminum and found that it was nearly as expensive to
> buy the raw aluminum and cut it myself as it was to have it professionally
> cut using a water jet process by Washington Aluminum. I spend a whole
> afternoon on the phone looking for local sources and advice from machine
> shops and finally decided on Washington Aluminum, becuase they were local
> and had the experience and the price was reasonable.

> [...]

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |