[Alberg30] A30 mast support beam

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 23 12:54:36 PST 2002

Dan,
Just a couple of things to add...
1. I was mistaken on the thinkness it is 3/8" not 1/2" aluminum.
2. When choosing the bolts, buy ones that are not threaded all the way to
the head.
3. As a final step I made some wood braces that attached to the bulkhead
stiffeners on either side of the door. I made these from oak and stained
them to match teak in the boat. It seemed important to fit tight to the
underside of the beam, so I trimmed them with a belt sander until I was
happy with the fit. See the last picuture at
http://alberg30.org/collaborate/moin.cgi/DeckBeamRepair
It's hard to see in the picture, but I accomplished the goal of making look
like an original part of the boat.
4. It is important to note, for everyone, that the mast does not sit
directly on the beam, only the after edge. As the back stay is tightened the
mast twists by putting more pressure aft which is why you always see the
deck deflected behind the mast. To minimize this affect make sure the mast
base is pushed as far forward as possible on the step.

That's all folks - Dan, if you need help you can always call me. Good luck.