[Alberg30] Bill Furey/Furling

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Fri Jan 4 14:36:27 PST 2002

Hi Bill:  Joe (Fernandez) sold me a Schaefer 1100 and retrofitted my #1 to it.  Price should be in the $2200 Cdn. range for the furler.  I took my forestay to him but Joe knows A30's like his mother.  If you are close to Toronto he will go out and fit it.  He showed me how and I did the final cutting on the forestay.  The Schaefer instructions are so good that any handy guy can figure it out.
I am having my jib and #2 retrofitted as well.  That way you can change sails for conditions, especially before you set sail (Joe's recommendation).
I have used the furler for one season and it is great.  I really want the smaller sails however because my #1 is huge and when you are bashing down Georgian Bay in 7 or 8 foot waves it is easier with a jib that trying to furl a monster (just my opinion).
Where is your A35?  I would love to see one sometime.

Peter Hay
Rubicon #384
phay at netcom.ca