[Alberg30] RE:movable staysail stay

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Wed Jan 9 05:31:31 PST 2002

Hi gang,

I'm looking at doing the same thing.  My slant on the idea is to combine the
spin. pole topping lift with a stays'l halyard. The way I'm going to do this
is as follows:

- attach a vang type u-shaped bail to the mast with a 5/16" through bolt
about 2' above the spreaders.
- hang a beefy block on it. (I want this as high as possible in order to
have a stays'l with a usefull size and a luff as long as possible for up
wind work.  Any higher above the top of the after lower stays and I would
have to start thinking about running backstays& chainplates for them)
- run 3/8" prestretched halyard line back to a rope clutch & winch on Stbd
cabin top.
- have a 1/4" 7x19 wire luff rope built into my high clewed staysail
- bolt a mighty pad eye in the foredeck with another pad eye on the inside
on top of a backing plate
- bolt a third pad eye to a block glassed to the inside of the bow & run a
wire pendant to it from the underside of the deck

My logic is:  I want a stays'l to use in heavy weather but do not want to
have to deal with the pain of trying to drag the genny around it every time
I tack in the 99% of the time I do not need the stays'l.

Gord
KC426 Surprise