[Alberg30] tunning, shroud tension

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Jan 9 20:38:55 PST 2002

Sorry about taking so long to respond. It took a while to locate the info.
>From my Loos Instructions, 1/4" wire breaking strength is 8200 lbs and 3/16" is 4700 lbs. Additionally, Loos recommends 1/4" forestay set to 1300 lbs, 1/4" shrouds set to 850 lbs, and 3/16 shrouds set to 500 lbs.
The relationship of forestay / backstay is something I can't comment on directly since I've got roller furling on the forestay and therefore can't easily measure the tension there. Loos makes the statement, "Since the backstay makes a greater angle to the mast, the backstay tension will be lower than the forestay tension."