[Alberg30] RE:movable staysail stay

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Thu Jan 10 03:56:33 PST 2002

Good Morning Mates -

Barchetta Mia, I have pondered the plate idea too... when I converted my boom to slab reefing and installed a u-shaped bail I worried about the bolt "walking" through the soft aluminum.  To combat this possibility I riveted a Stainless steel dinghy chainplate over the through bolt hole port and stbd so that the load was spread over three rivets as well as the bolt.  I lined the plates up with the angle of the vang tackle. Sort of the same principle I used to use when fitting high load stuff to my old Folkboat's spruce spars (did I mention I am a lapsed woodie?)   I did not put a compression tube in the boom bail and felt I did not suffer for it because I was carefull not to overtighten the bolt.  I used an aircraft nut and "riveted" the thread end after making the nut just snug and cutting the bolt with about 1/8" thread showing.  I wanted to allow the bail to swing and of course did not want to crush the boom extrusion.

I too spent a bit of time with a beer looking at that fwd bulkhead and wondering if tying into it would support a bad weather staysail tack - but decided not to test it.  I want that tack to be capable of lifting the boat.  With regards to distance back from the bow... I think just ahead of the bulkhead is our choice.

Zevulun - I think the tang you have on your mast at the spreaders was likely installed for your spinnaker pole lift - It would be asking a lot of it to serve as the halyard tang for a heavy stays'l set flying on its own wire luff; and the "staysail" on the diagram was intended to be a light reaching sail to be set under the spinnaker.  I have one of my old Folkboat genoas, and have experimented but do not think it works well.

Well, there's an essay.

Gord
#426 "Surprise"